Sunday, April 28, 2013

Saturday Luau

It's the weekend and my daughter decided that she wanted to have a Luau Cookout, so we were asked to prepare the food (That's what parents are for, right!).  She did her menu and handed it to her dad and I.  Not that I mind, preparing for any function gives me much joy.  I got up early this morning and got to work fixing her requested menu.

It was a beautiful in North Florida; not too hot, low humidity and the sun was in its glory. Perfect day for an outdoor event.

Dress Requirement:  Maxi dresses and big floppy hats for the ladies; cargo shorts and polo shirts for the men.  Only my daughter would have these requirements; Ms. Fashion Queen!!

Menu
Homemade salsa and Chips
Grilled Edamame with Spicy Black Bean Sauce

Marinated Shrimp Kebabs
Curried Chicken (no bones)
Grilled Chicken
White Rice
Cream Corn

Turkey Burger
Homemade Jamaican Patties
Special Punch
Cream Cheese Pound Cake 


Homemade Jamaican Patties (recipe will be posted later)



Spicy Black Bean Sauce (served with edamame)
Recipe will be posted later, stay tune..

Homemade Salsa
There is nothing better than fresh homemade salsa.  No preservatives and healthy.  Pair this salsa with some Tostidos Chips.  Delicious!  I stopped buying store bought dip for sometime now.  This is much better.
Have you ever tried the wholewheat Tostidos chips?  I just love them! Recipe for Salsa Dip


Cream Cheese Pound Cake  - Get the recipe here!
My family love pound cake so at any party there has to be some kind of pound cake, especially for my daughter.  She doesn't like any cake with fruits or nuts.


Curried Chicken.  My daughter insisted that there should be no bones.  This is one of her favorite Jamaican dishes.  She always love it with little twirly dumplings.  For my kids, curried chicken is not complete without dumplings. These young people don't like bones, but I grow eating even the bones.  I used the thighs to make this dishes.  Sam's actually have thighs available without bones; this saved me sometime.


Getting set to start the party.  Tables and chairs are on the lawn at the backyard.  Food all ready, time to get set up for guests.

I guess the young people had a fabulous time, all the food went real fast.  My daughter got many compliments on the food.  Her party though small was a  hit.

My next big cooking will be next month, my other baby's birthday.  I am sure I will be getting her menu.  You do for one then you have to do for all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment