Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Looking for Deals - Craigslist

Craigslist is one of my favorite places to hunt for deals.  We live in a student town so at certain time of the year when students are graduating and leaving town, I can get some real good deals.  They are usually anxious to get rid of furniture because they don't want to transport them of out town.

I love to find bargains but when I look for these I do so with a few pointers in mind:

1.  Decide on what you type of furniture or deals you are looking for.

2.  Decide on how much you are willing to pay.

3.  You can search through Craigslist by selecting to view only the item(s) you are looking for.  Even though I might be looking for a dresser, I usually choose not to sort as sometimes I stumble on other deals.

4. Do your search early in the mornings. Remember the saying "Early bird catches the worm."  Many sellers will post their items late at nights.

5.  Act quickly when you find a deal, remember there are others looking for deals too.

6.  A few months ago I was looking for a dresser and stumble upon some bars stools for $10.00 each. I wasn't really looking for stools that day but I knew that I intended to set up a "man space" for my hubby and that those would be ideal.  These stools are in good condition.  Now I need a table to go with these!



7.  When you go to purchase the item, make sure that the item(s) are in reasonable good condition: 
       a.  If you are buying items with drawers, check them to make sure that they all work.
       b.  Check legs to make sure they are not broken.
       c.  Check to see if the item is real wood or compressed wood.  This will determine how much work you have to put in to restore the item.

8.  Don't be afraid to negotiate.  Even if the seller lists the item for a certain price, he/she might be willing to part with it for less.

9.  If you are purchasing a furniture piece for your personal use, make sure the item will fit in your space. 

10.  Trust your instinct.  If you feel that you should forego what seem to be a deal; don't be afraid to walk away.

Happy hunting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment