Saturday, September 15, 2012

DIY: Starburst Mirror

This is a copycat rendition of one that was seen on a web page.
I have some time now so decided that I would use my spare time to catch up on my DIYs.  This is my first project and I am really proud of it. I have gotten a few compliments from my family and friends.




Material needed:
  • Wood shims (4 packs of 42 count, 12″ long shims, and 8 packs of 14 count, 8″ long shims from Lowes)
  • Wood glue
  • Gorilla glue
  • Round mirror
  • Silver spray paint
  • Thin plywood sheet for backing
  • Hanging hardware





Directions:

1) Layout your shims in groups of 9 for the longer shims and groups of 7 for the shorter shims and start gluing them together.


Gluing the pieces together


2) Lay out your groups of glued together shims in a sunburst pattern and let them dry for at least 2 hours.



3)  When the rays are dry, start gluing them to each other and to the plywood backing and spray paint them silver when everything is dry.


3)  When the rays are dry, start gluing them to each other and to the plywood backing.





4) Spray paint them silver when everything is dry.



5) Coat the back of the mirror with Gorilla glue and place your mirror in the center. Weigh down the mirror with books to make sure it dries in place.
6) Once dry, attach two screws in the plywood and hanging wire.






The finished product in my living room!


No comments:

Post a Comment