Wednesday, December 12, 2012

RECIPE FOR THE WEEK - BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP

One day this week I went to Panera Bread and bought a bowl of their Broccoli Cheese Soup.  It cost me about $6.00.  After having the soup, I questioned my decision.  Why am I spending so much money on lunch when I could do this at home and take it with me?  I decided that I would try my hand at doing this soup and also do a better job at fixing my lunch.  With the cost of living as it is, I can save approx. $6.00 - $10.00 per day for lunch by preparing and taking lunch daily.



So here we go, my copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup:


Broccoli Cheese Soup
Servings - 4

Ingredients
2 cups chopped broccoli
1/2 cup shredded carrot
4 ozs cheddar cheese
3 tbsp flour
2 cups broth
1/3 cup butter or olive oil
1/4 cup diced yellow onion

1/4 cup diced green onion
1 large clove garlic, finely minced
1 cups milk (I used 1%)
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning (original)

1 tsp Norton's seasoning
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
1.  Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add in carrot, onions, green onions and cook, stirring frequently until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.

2.  Add in garlic, dried thyme and continue to stir for 1 minute.

3. Stir in flour, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.

4.  Slowly pour in milk, broth then cream. Cook, stirring frequently, just until mixture begins to gently bubble and thicken. About 5 minutes.

5.  Reduce heat to medium low and add in broccoli pieces and cook until broccoli is tender about 6 - 8 minutes, stirring frequently.  

6.  Turn heat off, add in cheese and stir until melted, season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle a little cheddar cheese on top, serve warm. with slices of french or harddough bread.   



My family loves this one and I am sure your family will too!  Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from(
The Pioneer Woman)

1 comment: